Sunday, July 14, 2013

Inappropropriate Fennel Tomato Soup

They say it's 91 degrees outside, with a heat index of 95. Cooper is enjoying a black dog sauna outside in the backyard, but I've spent most of the day indoors, cleaning and then cooking.

This was my CSA haul this week:


It included:

one eggplant
a fennel bulb
oregano
more spring onions
lettuce
new potatoes
two zucchini


The potatoes and zucchini were easy. That night I coated them in olive oil, salt and pepper, and roasted them: the red potatoes separately, and then a roasted vegetable melange with zucchini, broccoli, and red cabbage. Roasted is about the only way I can like zucchini.

Speaking of roasting, as I go through this season, I'm developing some guidelines for how to use my CSA produce. Here they are so far:


1. Any firm vegetable will taste good roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper. This is a good way to deal with many veggies I don't particularly care for. Last night I roasted the eggplant with mushrooms and red onions and served it over rice with a dash of balsamic vinegar. Yum.

2. Swiss chard should be used immediately - even one day later it will have wilted. It's good sauteed with garlic and olive oil, and you can throw in olives and/or sundried tomatoes


3. Beets should be peeled and grated early in the week, and put in the fridge to use on salads. These I do not like much roasted.


Now I need a rule to deal with all the garlic scapes!

Tonight I finally used the fennel, making a fennel tomato soup with vegan sausage (the Tofurky sausage from Trader Joe's):


Totally inappropriate, a winter tomato soup in 95 degree weather. Thank goodness for air conditioning!

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious, Julie. I have to try the shaved beets for salads idea. I like fennel shavings in salads, too. If not stir-frying the garlic scapes, have you thought about garlic scape pesto? Love, M

    ReplyDelete