Thursday, June 27, 2013

Week one completed

I finished week one of the CSA challenge with only some green onions remaining. I made some wonderful things this week, and am finding ways to incorporate a little cooking into my evenings. Two of my favorite things were Hoisin-Glazed Collard Greens and Sweet Potatoes, from Nava Atlas's book, and stir fried pea shoots. Bruce even deemed the sweet potato dish "good" without prompting (high praise from him!) and ate a second portion. The thrilling thing was that I was able to make both of these without going out to the grocery store! (Using up what I have on hand is my other challenge).

Here are the Hoisin-Glazed Collard Greens and Sweet Potatoes:





The pea shoots had little purple flowers. I took those off, and removed some of the bigger stems. The stems that remained gave the dish a slight crunchiness. I didn't expect to like them, but....I ended up deciding to eat the entire pan (Bruce wasn't home to help).

Stir-fried pea shoots (found on grouprecipes.com)

2 T. white cooking wine
1/4 C. broth
3 t. soy sauce
1/4 t. sugar
2 T. canola oil
2 T. garlic, finely chopped
1 lb. pea shoots
2 t. cornstarch, dissolved in 4 t. water


In a small bowl, combine the wine, broth, soy sauce, and sugar. Set near the stove.
In a wok or large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
Add the garlic and stir-fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
Add the pea shoots and toss to coat with oil and garlic.
Raise heat to high and add sauce mixture.
Stir-fry pea shoots 15 seconds, then cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until well wilted.
Uncover, add the cornstarch mixture, and stir-fry another 30 seconds, or until the sauce has thickened and the shoots acquire a shiny, almost "glazed" look.




This week, my challenge is the following:

More big green onions
Garlic scapes (I think - they look like thin green snakes)
Beets
Swiss chard
Huge head of romaine lettuce
Strawberries
Spinach

This is easier than last week. I already sauteed the chard with the beet greens with some garlic and olive oil, and served them with some sun-dried tomatoes. I've grated the beets for use in salads. Strawberries almost gone for cereal. But I seem unable to find a recipe that uses parsley without going to the grocery store (again). I plan to try out a quinoa and parsley salad that I found on the Cooking Light website, but have to stop by Trader Joe's for a cucumber, some celery, and some dried apricots. Luckily the recipe also has green onions in it in abundance. Now .... what to do with the thin green snakes?

1 comment:

  1. Great project, Julie. I stir-fry my garlic scapes with much the same sauce as you used for your stir-fried pea shoots.

    ReplyDelete