Monday, May 27, 2013

Bryce Canyon

Traveling to our second national park of the week, I've discovered a happy trend. National Park lodge restaurants seem to be planning for vegans. At the Bryce Canyon Lodge restaurant, I enjoyed the Vernal Vegetable plate for dinner, a lovely platter of roasted zucchini, tomatoes, and peppers with a side of rice:




Bruce got the quinoa plate which seemed to have cheese scattered only on top, so might have been veganizable. On Day Two for lunch I had the first BLT I've had in many years the, with a veggi e bacon product that I'm sure was out of a commercially-available box, but nonetheless welcome. The cole slaw was made with mayonnaise, unfortunately, and Bruce said it was nothing special (where were the cactus jelly and pine nuts that were supposed to be in it?), so I got the side salad, just some iceberg lettuce with a few shreds red cabbage and carrots, but dressed up a little with balsamic vinagrette.

Outside the park was a little dicier. They clearly had never heard of quinoa in the nearby town. We drove all the way to Panguitch, 11 miles away, and I wandered into a 'homestyle' restaurant to find nothing at all on the menu for vegetarians, much less vegans. Coming back to the national park vicinity, about to give up and either go back to the lodge for dinner, or the nearby Subway, I found the Canyon Ranch restaurant which seemed to have taken a page from the Lodge restaurant - amongst the burgers, they had one vegan item on the menu, roasted veggies served with pita, hummus, and unflavored white rice. Could have used twice as many vegetables and half as much pita bread, but I felt victorious. I can survive as a vegan in southern Utah -- in the tourist areas anyway. Here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment